topleft >  Services >  Governance Technology > 

Two Rock Un SD |  AR  5111  Students


arrow Previous bar Next arrow

Age of Admittance to Kindergarten and First Grade

At the beginning of each school year, the Superintendent/Principal or designee shall enroll any otherwise eligible child who will have his/her fifth or sixth birthday on or before September 1 of that year into kindergarten or first grade, as applicable. (Education Code 48000, 48010)

Any child who will have his/her fifth birthday from September 2 through December 2 of the school year shall be offered a transitional kindergarten (TK) program in accordance with law and Board policy. (Education Code 48000)

(cf. 5123 - Promotion/Acceleration/Retention)

(cf. 6170.1 - Transitional Kindergarten)

On a case-by-case basis, a child who will turn five years old in a given school year may be enrolled in kindergarten or TK at any time during that school year with the approval of the child's parent/guardian, provided that: (Education Code 48000)

1. The Governing Board determines that the admittance is in the best interests of the child.

2. The parent/guardian is given information regarding the advantages and disadvantages and any other explanatory information about the effect of this early admittance.

(cf. 5145.6 - Parental Notifications)

The Superintendent/Principal or designee shall make a recommendation to the Board regarding whether a child should be granted early entry to kindergarten. In doing so, the Superintendent/Principal or designee shall consider various factors including the availability of classroom space and any negotiated maximum class size.

(cf. 6151 - Class Size)

(cf. 7111 - Evaluating Existing Buildings)

Documentation of Age/Grade

Prior to the admission of a child to kindergarten or first grade, the parent/guardian shall present proof of the child's age. (Education Code 48002)

Evidence of the child's age may include: (Education Code 48002)

1. A certified copy of a birth certificate or a statement by the local registrar or county recorder certifying the date of birth

2. A duly attested baptism certificate

3. A passport

When none of the foregoing is obtainable, the parent/guardian may provide any other appropriate means of proving the age of the child. (Education Code 48002)


approved: August 4, 2015 Petaluma, California