Legal Resources | | 74115
Chapter 4. Institutions - General Provisions. Article 2. Reports. Financial Statements.
(a) This section applies to every set of financial statements required to be prepared or filed by the Act or by this chapter.
(b) A set of financial statements shall contain, at a minimum, a balance sheet, an income statement, and a cash flow statement, and the preparation of financial statements, shall comply with all of the following:
(1) Audited and reviewed financial statements shall be conducted and prepared in accordance with the generally accepted accounting principles established by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants by an independent certified public accountant who is not an employee, officer, or corporate director or member of the governing board of the institution.
(2) Financial statements prepared on an annual basis as required by section 74110(b) shall be prepared in accordance with the generally accepted accounting principles established by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Nonprofit institutions shall provide annual financial statements as required under generally accepted accounting principles for nonprofit organizations.
(3) The financial statements shall establish that the institution meets the requirements for financial resources required by Section 71745.
(4) If an audit performed to determine compliance with any federal or state student financial aid program reveals any failure to comply with the requirements of the program and the noncompliance creates any liability or potential liability for the institution, the financial statements shall reflect the liability or potential liability.
(5) Any audits shall demonstrate that the accountant obtained an understanding of the institution's internal financial control structure, assessed any risks, and has reported any material deficiencies in the internal controls.
(c) Work papers for the financial statements shall be retained for five years from the date of the statements and shall be made available to the Bureau upon request.
(d) "Current" with respect to financial statements means completed no sooner than 120 days prior to the time it is submitted to the Bureau, and covering no less than the most recent complete fiscal year. If more than 8 months will have elapsed between the close of the most recent complete fiscal year and the time it is submitted, the fiscal statements shall also cover no less than five months of that current fiscal year.
Education Code 94803
Education Code 94877
Education Code 94885
Education Code 94934
(Amended by Register 2010, No. 47.)