topleft >  Services >  Governance Technology > 

Legal Resources | Code of Federal Regulations, Title 34 |    110.39  

Part 110—Nondiscrimination On The Basis Of Age In Programs Or Activities Receiving Federal Financial Assistance Subpart D—Investigation, Conciliation, and Enforcement Procedures Exhaustion of administrative remedies.   

arrow Previous bar Next arrow

(a) A complainant may file a civil action following the exhaustion of administrative remedies under the Act. Administrative remedies are exhausted if¬ó

(1) One hundred eighty days have elapsed since the complainant filed the complaint with ED, and ED has made no finding with regard to the complaint; or

(2) ED issues any finding in favor of the recipient.

(b) If ED fails to make a finding within 180 days or issues a finding in favor of the recipient, ED promptly¬ó

(1) Advises the complainant of this fact;

(2) Advises the complainant of his or her right to bring a civil action for injunctive relief; and

(3) Informs the complainant¬ó

(i) That a civil action can be brought only in a United States district court for the district in which the recipient is found or transacts business;

(ii) That a complainant prevailing in a civil action has the right to be awarded the costs of the action, including reasonable attorney's fees, but that these costs must be demanded in the complaint filed with the court;

(iii) That before commencing the action, the complainant shall give 30 days notice by registered mail to the Secretary, the Secretary of Health and Human Services, the Attorney General of the United States, and the recipient;

(iv) That the notice shall state the alleged violation of the Act, the relief requested, the court in which the action will be brought, and whether or not attorney's fees are demanded in the event the complainant prevails; and

(v) That the complainant may not bring an action if the same alleged violation of the Act by the same recipient is the subject of a pending action in any court of the United States.

(Authority: 42 U.S.C. 6104)