Legal Resources | | EC 60605.8
California Assessment of Academic Achievement; Academic Content Standards Commission
(a) There is hereby established the Academic Content Standards Commission. The commission shall consist of 21 members, appointed as follows:
(1) Eleven members appointed by the Governor.
(2) Five members appointed by the Senate Committee on Rules.
(3) Five members appointed by the Speaker of the Assembly.
(b) Members of the commission shall serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
(c) Not less than half of the members appointed by each of the appointing authorities pursuant to subdivision (a) shall be current public school elementary or secondary classroom teachers.
(d) The commission shall develop academic content standards in language arts and mathematics. The standards shall be internationally benchmarked and build toward college and career readiness by the time of high school graduation. Unless otherwise allowed by the Secretary of the United States Department of Education, at least 85 percent of these standards shall be the common core academic standards developed by the consortium or interstate collaboration set forth in Section 60605.7.
(e) Pursuant to the Bagley-Keene Act, Article 9 (commencing with SEC. 11120) of Division 3 of Title 2 of the Government Code, all meetings and hearings of the commission shall be open and available to the public.
(f) On or before July 15, 2010, the commission shall present its recommended academic content standards to the state board.
(g) On or before August 2, 2010, the state board shall do either of the following:
(1) Adopt the academic content standards as proposed by the commission.
(2) Reject the academic content standards as proposed by the commission. If the state board rejects the standards it shall provide a specific written explanation to the Superintendent, the Governor, and the Legislature of the reasons why the proposed standards were rejected.
(h) The Superintendent and state board shall present to the Governor and to the appropriate policy and fiscal committees of the Legislature a schedule and implementation plan for integrating the academic content standards adopted pursuant to this section into the state educational system.
(Added by Stats. 2010, 5th Ex. Sess., Ch. 2, Sec. 15.)
Education Code 60605.7
Government Code 11120