Article 4.5. California Peer Assistance and Review Program for Teachers
(a) There is hereby established the California Peer Assistance and Review Program for Teachers. The governing board of a school district and the exclusive representative of the certificated employees in the school district may develop and implement a program authorized by this article that meets local conditions and conforms with the principles set forth in subdivision (b).
(b) The following principles, at a minimum, shall be included in a locally developed program authorized by this article:
(1) A teacher participant shall be a permanent employee in a school district with 250 or greater units of average daily attendance or a permanent or probationary employee in a school district with fewer than 250 units of average daily attendance and volunteer to participate in the program or be referred for participation in the program as a result of an evaluation performed pursuant to subdivision (c) of Section 44664. In addition, teachers receiving assistance may be referred pursuant to a collectively bargained agreement.
(2) Performance goals for an individual teacher shall be in writing, clearly stated, aligned with pupil learning, and consistent with Section 44662.
(3) Assistance and review shall include multiple observations of a teacher during periods of classroom instruction.
(4) The program shall expect and strongly encourage a cooperative relationship between the consulting teacher and the principal with respect to the process of peer assistance and review.
(5) The school district shall provide sufficient staff development activities to assist a teacher to improve his or her teaching skills and knowledge.
(6) The program shall have a monitoring component with a written record.
(7) The final evaluation of a teacher's participation in the program shall be made available for placement in the personnel file of the teacher receiving assistance.
(Amended by Stats. 2003, Ch. 566, Sec. 1.)
Education Code 44662
Education Code 44664