Disability Retirement; Eligibility, Benefits and Computations
(a) A member may apply for a disability retirement under this part, upon written application for disability retirement to the board on a properly executed form provided by the system, if the member has five or more years of credited service and if all of the following requirements are met:
(1) At least four years were credited for actual service performed subject to coverage under the Defined Benefit Program. Credit received because of workers' compensation payments shall be counted toward the four-year requirement in accordance with Section 22710.
(2) The last five years of credited service were performed in this state.
(3) Except as described in subdivision (d) of Section 24201.5, the member is not currently receiving a service retirement allowance and at least one year of credited service was earned subsequent to the date on which the member terminated a service retirement allowance under Section 24208.
(4) At least one year of credited service was earned subsequent to the date on which the member's disability retirement was terminated.
(5) At least one year of credited service was earned subsequent to the most recent refund of accumulated retirement contributions.
(6) The member is not applying for a disability retirement because of a physical or mental condition known to exist at the time the most recent membership in the Defined Benefit Program commenced and that remains substantially unchanged at the time of application.
(b) Nothing in subdivision (a) shall affect the right of a member to a disability retirement if the reason that the member has performed less than four years of actual service is due to an on-the-job injury or a disease while in employment subject to coverage by the Defined Benefit Program and the four-year requirement can be satisfied by credit obtained under Chapter 14 (commencing with Section 22800) or Chapter 14.5 (commencing with Section 22850) in addition to any credit received from workers' compensation payments.
(c) Nothing in subdivision (a) shall affect the right of a member under this part who has less than five years of credited service to a disability retirement allowance if the following conditions are met:
(1) The member has at least one year of credited service performed in this state.
(2) The disability is a direct result of an unlawful act of bodily injury that was perpetrated on his or her person by another human being while the member was performing his or her official duties in a position subject to coverage under the Defined Benefit Program.
(3) The member provides documentation of the unlawful act in the form of an official police report or official employer incident report.
(d) A member who is eligible to apply for a disability retirement pursuant to this section may also apply for a service retirement pending a determination of his or her application for disability as described in Section 24201.5.
(Amended by Stats. 2014, Ch. 755, Sec. 27.)