A school district shall certify to the State Department of Education all of the following, as a condition to receiving funding pursuant to this chapter:
(a) That funds received pursuant to this chapter shall be spent by school districts only for the purpose of providing in-service training in reading instruction to certificated employees who provide direct instructional services to pupils enrolled in kindergarten or any of grades 1 to 3, inclusive, and to schoolsite administrators.
(b) That funds received pursuant to this chapter for teachers of pupils enrolled in kindergarten and any of grades 1 to 3, inclusive, shall be expended only for the purpose of providing programs of in-service training in reading instruction that consist of, and are not limited to, all of the following subjects:
(1) Phoneme awareness instruction.
(2) Systematic explicit phonics instruction.
(3) Decoding instruction and the diagnosis of a pupil's ability to decode.
(4) Word-attack skills instruction.
(5) Spelling and vocabulary instruction.
(6) Explicit instruction of comprehension skills.
(7) Research on how reading skills are acquired.
(8) Effective integration of listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
(9) Effective classroom and schoolwide interventions for low-performing readers.
(10) Ways to promote extensive, self-selected independent reading.
(11) Effective reading instruction for English language learners.
(12) Planning and delivery of appropriate reading instruction based on assessment and evaluation.
(c) To the extent feasible with available funds, that all teachers of pupils in kindergarten and grades 1 to 3, inclusive, have received or will receive the training provided pursuant to this chapter.
(d) That funds received by school districts for the purposes of this chapter that are expended for contract providers of training shall be spent only for providers of in-service training that have been approved by the State Board of Education pursuant to Section 44757.1.
(e) That a school district using its own employees to provide the training described in subdivision (b) to its own employees meets the requirements of Section 44757.2.
(f) That funds received for the purposes of this chapter shall be spent only for programs of in-service training that do not cause a reduction in pupil instructional time.
(Amended by Stats. 1997, Ch. 286, Sec. 4.)
Education Code 44757.1
Education Code 44757.2