Legal Resources | | CV 56.107
Division 1. Part 2.6 Confidentiality of Medical Information; Authorization to Disclose Medical Information
(a) Notwithstanding any other law, and to the extent permitted by federal law, a health care service plan shall take the following steps to protect the confidentiality of a subscriber?s or enrollee?s medical information on and after January 1, 2015:
(1) A health care service plan shall permit subscribers and enrollees to request, and shall accommodate requests for, communication in the form and format requested by the individual, if it is readily producible in the requested form and format, or at alternative locations, if the subscriber or enrollee clearly states either that the communication discloses medical information or provider name and address relating to receipt of sensitive services or that disclosure of all or part of the medical information or provider name and address could endanger the subscriber or enrollee.
(2) A health care service plan may require the subscriber or enrollee to make a request for a confidential communication described in paragraph (1), in writing or by electronic transmission.
(3) A health care service plan may require that a confidential communications request contain a statement that the request pertains to either medical information related to the receipt of sensitive services or that disclosure of all or part of the medical information could endanger the subscriber or enrollee. The health care service plan shall not require an explanation as to the basis for a subscriber?s or enrollee?s statement that disclosure could endanger the subscriber or enrollee.
(4) The confidential communication request shall be valid until the subscriber or enrollee submits a revocation of the request or a new confidential communication request is submitted.
(5) For the purposes of this section, a confidential communications request shall be implemented by the health care service plan within seven calendar days of receipt of an electronic transmission or telephonic request or within 14 calendar days of receipt by first-class mail. The health care service plan shall acknowledge receipt of the confidential communications request and advise the subscriber or enrollee of the status of implementation of the request if a subscriber or enrollee contacts the health care service plan.
(b) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), the provider of health care may make arrangements with the subscriber or enrollee for the payment of benefit cost sharing and communicate that arrangement with the health care service plan.
(c) A health care service plan shall not condition enrollment or coverage on the waiver of rights provided in this section.
(Added by Stats. 2013, Ch. 444, Sec.4.)