California Assessment of Academic Achievement; Academic Standards
(a) The Superintendent may recommend to the state board, and the state board may approve, modifications to the common core academic content standards in mathematics adopted by the state board pursuant to Section 60605.8. If the state board modifies the common core academic content standards in mathematics, it shall explain, in writing, to the Governor and the Legislature the reasons for modifying the standards. The Superintendent's recommendations and the state board's actions shall assist schools in the implementation of the standards.
(1) In consultation with the state board, the Superintendent shall consult a group of experts in mathematics for purposes of developing recommendations pursuant to this section. The Superintendent shall ensure that the group of experts includes, but is not limited to, individuals who are teachers of mathematics in elementary and secondary schools, schoolsite principals, administrators of school districts or county offices of education, and university professors. Not less than one-half of the members of the group shall be currently employed public school teachers.
(2) The Superintendent and the state board shall hold a minimum of two public hearings pursuant to the Bagley-Keene Open Meeting Act (Article 9 (commencing with Section 11120) of Chapter 1 of Part 1 of Division 3 of Title 2 of the Government Code) in order for the public to provide input on the modifications recommended pursuant to this section.
(3) On or before March 30, 2013, the Superintendent shall recommend modifications to the mathematics standards to the state board, and the state board, by that date, shall adopt, reject, or modify those recommendations.
(b) The modifications to the common core academic content standards in mathematics that the Superintendent recommends to the state board and that the state board approves shall ensure all of the following:
(1) The rigor of the state common core academic content standards in mathematics is maintained so that all high school graduates are prepared for college and careers, as specified in the common core academic content standards.
(2) All of the common core academic standards developed by the consortium or interstate collaboration set forth in Section 60605.7 are adopted.
(3) One set of standards is adopted at each grade level.
(4) The content standards for algebra I are based upon the common core academic content standards for mathematics.
(5) Redundant mathematics standards are eliminated.
(6) The implementation of standards is improved.
(7) Any technical issues in the standards are resolved.
(8) The modifications amount to no more than 15 percent of the common core academic content standards adopted by the state board.
(c) (1) Any modifications to the common core academic content standards in mathematics made pursuant to this section shall be incorporated into the curriculum framework and the evaluation criteria for mathematics for the purpose of adopting instructional materials in mathematics pursuant to Section 60207.
(2) This subdivision shall become operative only if Assembly Bill 1246 of the 2011-12 Regular Session is chaptered and becomes effective.
(Added by Stats. 2012, Ch. 654, Sec. 2.)