(a) A service retirement allowance under this part shall become effective upon any date designated by the member, provided all of the following conditions are met:
(1) An application for service retirement allowance is filed on a form provided by the system, which is executed no earlier than six months before the effective date of retirement allowance.
(2) The effective date is later than the last day the member earned creditable compensation pursuant to Section 22119.2 or 22119.3.
(3) The effective date is no earlier than one day after the date on which the retirement allowance was terminated under Section 24208.
(4) The effective date is no earlier than one year following the date on which the retirement allowance was terminated under subdivision (a) of Section 24117.
(5) The effective date is no earlier than the date upon and continuously after which the member is determined to the satisfaction of the board to have been mentally incompetent.
(6) The effective date is no earlier than the date upon which the member completes payment of a service credit purchase pursuant to Section 22801, 22820, or 22826, or payment of a redeposit of contributions pursuant to Section 23200, except as provided in Section 22801 or 22829.
(b) A member who files an application for service retirement may change or cancel his or her retirement application, as long as the form provided by the system is received in the system's headquarters office no later than 30 days from the date the member's initial benefit payment for the member's most recent retirement under the Defined Benefit Program is paid by the system. If a member cancels his or her retirement application, the member shall return the total gross distribution amount of all payments for the canceled retirement benefit to the system's headquarters office no later than 45 days from the date of the member's initial benefit payment and shall be liable for any adverse tax consequences that may result from these actions.
(c) The retirement date of a member who files an application for retirement pursuant to Section 24201 on or after January 1, 2012, shall be no earlier than January 1, 2012.
(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to allow a member to receive more than one type of retirement or disability allowance for the same period of time by virtue of his or her own membership.
(Amended by Stats. 2016, Ch. 218, Sec. 29.)