Permissive and Additional Service Credit; credit for members previously excluded
(a) A member, other than a retired member, who was previously excluded from membership in the Defined Benefit Program may request to purchase service credit for:
(1) Service as a substitute excluded under Section 22602.
(2) Creditable service subject to coverage under the Cash Balance Benefit Program, excluding service credited pursuant to Section 26402, if the member is currently contributing to the Defined Benefit Program and has terminated all service subject to coverage under the Cash Balance Benefit Program. Upon requesting to purchase service credit under this paragraph, the member shall cease to be eligible for a benefit for the same service or time previously credited under the Cash Balance Benefit Program pursuant to Part 14 (commencing with Section 26000).
(3) Service performed on a part-time basis excluded under Section 22601.5 or Section 22604, other than service credited under paragraph (2).
(4) Adult education service excluded under Section 22603, as it read on December 31, 1995.
(5) Service as a school nurse excluded under Section 22606, as it read on December 31, 1995.
(6) Service performed in a position prior to the date the position was made subject to coverage under the Defined Benefit Program.
(7) Service subject to coverage under the Defined Benefit Program performed while a member of another California public retirement system, provided the member has ceased to be a member of, and has ceased to be entitled to benefits from, the other retirement system. The member shall not receive credit for the service if the member may redeposit withdrawn contributions and subsequently be eligible for any benefits based upon the same service or based upon other full-time service performed during the same period, from another California public retirement system.
(b) A member who requests to purchase service credit under this part for service performed while excluded from membership under the Defined Benefit Program shall pay all of the required contributions for all or the portion of that service for which the member requests to purchase service credit.
(c) A member may not request to purchase service credit for service or time described in paragraphs (1) and (3) to (7), inclusive, of subdivision (a) if, after the request, the member would continue to receive credit for the same service or time in the Cash Balance Benefit Program under Part 14 (commencing with Section 26000) or another public retirement system.
(Amended by Stats. 2009, Ch. 304, Sec. 7.)
Education Code 22601.5
Education Code 22602
Education Code 22603
Education Code 22604
Education Code 22606
Education Code 26000
Education Code 26402