A school district shall do all of the following to be eligible for receiving grants pursuant to this article:
(a) Meet either of the following criteria:
(1) Have employed teachers who are assigned to teach mathematics outside the authorization of their credential.
(2) Have employed teachers who hold a credential for teaching in a self-contained classroom, who are assigned to teach pupils in any of grades 4 to 6, inclusive, and who have not completed more than three college-level courses in mathematics.
(b) Inform all district teachers who teach mathematics to pupils in grades 4 to 12, inclusive, of the availability of payments for fees and materials in courses in mathematics.
(c) From the funds allotted to the school district pursuant to Section 44695.5, pay for the fees and materials costs of teachers based on their need for mathematics training. Highest priority shall be given to teachers with the least college-level mathematics training. Consideration shall be given to the needs of a school in extending its course offerings.
(d) Ensure that each teacher who receives the staff development training in mathematics, as authorized in this chapter, meets all of the following conditions:
(1) Has designed a professional development plan that specifies the sequence of courses that the teacher will take in order to fulfill the course requirements for a mathematics minor, major, teaching credential, or advanced degree, as appropriate.
(2) Obtains a grade of C or better in the course.
(3) For a teacher described in paragraph (2) of subdivision (a), the teacher has a professional development plan that specifies the course or sequence of courses that the teacher will need to complete in order for the teacher to have the appropriate knowledge of mathematics necessary to teach the subject.
(e) Apply to the State Department of Education for a staff development grant pursuant to this chapter and certify the number of teachers employed by the district meeting the criteria in subdivision (a).
(Added by Stats. 1998, Ch. 316, Sec. 3.)
Education Code 44695.5