(a) Information filed with the system by a participant or beneficiary is confidential and shall be used by the system for the sole purpose of carrying into effect the provisions of this part. No official or employee of the system who has access to the individual records of a participant or beneficiary shall divulge any confidential information concerning those records to any person except in the following instances:
(1) To the participant or beneficiary to whom the information relates.
(2) To the authorized representative of the participant or beneficiary.
(3) To the governing board of the participant's current or former employer.
(4) To any department, agency, or political subdivision of this state.
(5) To other individuals as necessary to locate a person to whom a benefit may be payable.
(6) Pursuant to subpoena.
(b) Information filed with the system in a beneficiary designation form may be released after the death of the participant to those persons who may provide information necessary for the distribution of benefits.
(c) The information is not open to inspection by anyone except the board and its officers and employees of the system, and any person authorized by statute to make inspections.
(Amended by Stats. 1999, Ch. 939, Sec. 79.)