(a) Commencing in the 1990-91 fiscal year, year-round school grants, in addition to those grants authorized under Section 42262, shall be awarded annually for the operation of multitrack year-round education programs to school districts that meet the criteria specified in this section, in addition to the criteria otherwise applicable under this article.
(b) For each fiscal year, for each schoolsite for which a school district applies for funding under this article, the district shall certify the number of pupils in excess of the capacity of the schoolsite, as determined by State Allocation Board or court-mandated pupil loading standards, for which the district elects to claim funding under this article. The excess pupil capacity calculated for purposes of this subdivision shall reflect only the additional capacity that has been generated as a result of operation on a multitrack year-round basis, and shall not reflect increased capacity generated by any other means. A school district shall be eligible for funding under this section only as to any schoolsite for which the pupil population certified by the district exceeds the capacity of the schoolsite by not less than 5 percent.
(c) To the extent funding is made available for the purposes of this section, the Superintendent of Public Instruction shall allocate to an applicant school district, for each schoolsite that qualifies for funding under subdivision (b), an amount equal to the district's share of the product of the statewide average cost avoided per pupil, as established under subdivision (e), and the number of pupils certified by the district under subdivision (b). For purposes of this subdivision, a district's share shall be determined according to the percentage by which the number of certified pupils reflects an increase in the capacity of the schoolsite, as follows:
1. Less than 5% 0%
2. Equal to or greater than 5% but less than 10% 50%
3. Equal to or greater than 10% but less than 15% 67%
4. Equal to or greater than 15% but less than 20% 75%
5. Equal to or greater than 20% but less than 25% 85%
6. Equal to or greater than 25% 90%
(d) (1) The State Allocation Board shall calculate the statewide average cost avoided per pupil under Chapter 12.5 (commencing with Section 17070.10) of Part 10 through the operation of school facilities on a multitrack year-round basis, based on the following school facilities cost components:
(A) The cost of facilities construction.
(B) The cost of land acquisition.
(C) Relocation costs in connection with land acquisition.
(D) State costs incurred as a result of interest that would be paid by the state for debt service on state general obligation bond financing to construct new school facilities under Chapter 12.5 (commencing with Section 17070.10) of Part 10.
(2) The calculation of costs under subparagraphs (B) and (C) of paragraph (1) shall exclude data from the lowest quartile and the highest quartile.
(3) The State Allocation Board shall calculate the statewide average cost avoided per pupil, pursuant to this subdivision, on the basis of the 1990-91 and 1991-92 fiscal years and every two-year period thereafter. No later than December 1, 1992, and biennially thereafter, the board shall report to the Legislature the result of its calculation for the prior two-year period.
(e) For the 1990-91 and 1991-92 fiscal years, the "statewide average cost avoided per pupil," for purposes of this section, shall be one thousand one hundred fifty-one dollars ($1,151). For the 1992-93 fiscal year, and each fiscal year thereafter, the "statewide average cost avoided per pupil" shall be established by the statute that appropriates funding for the purposes of this section for that fiscal year.
(Amended by Stats 2000, Ch. 1058, Sec. 30)
Education Code 17070.10
Education Code 42262