Part 99-Family Educational Rights and Privacy. Subpart D-May an Educational Agency or institution Disclose Personally Identifiable Information From Education Records?
Under what conditions is prior consent required to disclose information?
(a) The parent or eligible student shall provide a signed and dated written consent before an educational agency or institution discloses personally identifiable information from the student's educational records, except as provided in 99.31.
(b) The written consent must:
(1) Specify the records that my be disclosed.
(2) State the purpose of the disclosure; and
(3) Identify the party or class of parties to whom the disclosure may be made.
(c) When a disclosure is made under paragraph (a) of this section:
(1) If a parent or eligible student so requests, the educational agency or institution shall provide him or her with a copy of the records disclosed; and
(2) If the parent of s student who is not an eligible student so requests, the agency or institution shall provide the student with a copy of the records disclosed.
(d) "Signed and dated written consent" under this par may include a record and signature in electronic form that-
(1) Identifies and authenticates a particular person as the source of the electronic consent; and
(2) Indicates such person's approval of the information contained in the electronic consent.
(Amended 69 FR 21670, 21671, Apr.21, 2004)