San Carlos ESD | AR 5132 Students
Dress And Grooming
In cooperation with teachers, students and parents/guardians, the principal or designee shall establish school rules governing student dress and grooming which are consistent with law, Governing Board policy and administrative regulations. These school dress codes shall be regularly reviewed.
(cf. 0420 - School Plans/Site Councils)
In addition, the following guidelines shall apply to all regular school activities:
1. Shoes must be worn at all times. Sandals must have heel straps. "Flip-flops" or backless shoes or sandals are not acceptable.
2. Clothing, jewelry and personal items (backpacks, gym bags, water bottles etc.) shall be free of writing, pictures or any other insignia which are crude, vulgar, profane or sexually suggestive, which bear drug, alcohol or tobacco company advertising, promotions and likenesses, or which advocate racial, ethnic or religious prejudice, or which depict/advocate violence or show images of weapons. All are prohibited.
3. Hats, caps and other head coverings shall not be worn indoors.
4. Clothes shall be sufficient to conceal undergarments at all times. See-through or fish-net fabrics, halter tops, off-the-shoulder or low-cut tops, bare midriffs and skirts or shorts shorter than mid-thigh are prohibited.
6. Hair shall be clean and neatly groomed. Hair may not be sprayed by any coloring that would drip when wet.
Coaches and teachers may impose more stringent dress requirements to accommodate the special needs of certain sports and/or classes.
(cf. 3260 - Fees and Charges)
No grade of a student participating in a physical education class shall be adversely affected if the student does not wear standardized physical education apparel because of circumstances beyond the student's control. (Education Code 49066)
(cf. 5121 - Grades/Evaluation of Student Achievement)
The principal, staff, students and parent/guardians at each school may establish reasonable dress and grooming regulations for times when students are engaged in extracurricular or other special school activities.
Regulation SAN CARLOS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: January 16, 2014 San Carlos, California