Los Angeles COE | AR 5112.2 Students
Exclusions From Attendance
Students may be excluded from attendance at Los Angeles County Board of Education (LACOE) schools if they:
1. Are under the legal age of attendance, except as otherwise provided by law. (Education Code 48210)
(cf. 5111 - Admission)
2. Do not present evidence of immunization from certain infectious diseases as required by law. A student shall not be excluded, however, if the parent/guardian, in writing, requests exemption from the immunization requirement on the basis of the student's physical condition or a conflict with the parent/guardian's religious beliefs. (Health and Safety Code 120335, 120365, 120370)
(cf. 5141.31 -Immunizations)
(cf. 5141.26 - Tuberculosis Testing)
(cf. 5141.33 -Head Lice)
(cf. 5112.2 - Exclusions from Attendance)
(cf. 6164.6 - Identification and Education Under Section 504)
a. The County Superintendent of Schools or designee shall exclude students only in accordance with law, County Board policy, and administrative regulation. Because bloodborne pathogens such as hepatitis B virus, hepatitis C virus, and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) are not casually transmitted, the presence of infectious conditions of this type is not, by itself, sufficient reason to exclude students from attending school.
b. These students are protected by state and federal antidiscrimination laws covering students with disabilities.
(cf. 5141.22 - Infectious Diseases)
5. Reside where any contagious, infectious, or communicable disease subject to quarantine exists or has recently existed, unless written permission of the health officer is provided. (Health and Safety Code 120230)
6. Have not had the health screening, specified in Health and Safety Code 124040, before or within the first 90 days of attending first grade. Such students may be excluded for up to five days unless the parent/guardian has presented a waiver or the district has exempted the student from this requirement in accordance with law. (Health and Safety Code 124105)
(cf. 5141.32 - Health Screening for School Entry)
Notifications to Parents/Guardians
Prior to excluding a student from attendance, the County Superintendent or designee shall send a notice to the student's parent/guardian stating the facts leading to the exclusion.
The County Superintendent or designee may exclude a student without prior notice to the parent/guardian if the student is excluded because: (Education Code 48213)
1. He/she resides in an area subject to quarantine pursuant to Health and Safety Code 120230
2. He/she is exempt from a medical examination but suffers from a contagious or infectious disease pursuant to Education Code 49451.
3. The County Superintendent or designee determines that the presence of the student would constitute a clear and present danger to the safety or health of other students or school personnel.
However, in such cases, the County Superintendent or designee shall send a notice as soon as reasonably possible after the exclusion. (Education Code 48213)
49076 Access to records by persons without written consent or under judicial order
49408 Information of use in emergencies
49451 Parent's refusal to consent
HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE
120230 Exclusion of persons from school
120325-120380 Educational and child care facility immunization requirements 121475-121520 Tuberculosis tests for students 124025-124110 Child Health and Disability Prevention Program CODE OF REGULATIONS, TITLE 5 202 Exclusion of students with a contagious disease
Management Resources: WEB SITES California Department of Health Services: http://www.cdph.gov California Healthy Kids Resource Center: http://www.californiahealthykids.org Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: http://www.cdc.gov
Regulation LOS ANGELES COUNTY OFFICE OF EDUCATION
approved: September 27, 2011 Downey, California