Los Angeles COE | AR 6145 Instruction
Extracurricular And Cocurricular Activities
For purpose of applying eligibility criteria for student participation, extracurricular and cocurricular activities shall be defined as follows: (Education Code 35160.5)
1. Extracurricular activities are not part of the regular school curriculum, are not graded, do not offer credit, do not take place during classroom time, and have all of the following characteristics:
a. The program is supervised or financed by LACOE.
b. Students participating in the program represent LACOE.
c. Students exercise some degree of freedom in the selection, planning, or control of the program.
d. The program includes both preparation for performance and performance before an audience or spectators.
2. Cocurricular activities are programs that may be associated with the curriculum in a regular classroom.
An activity is not an extracurricular or cocurricular activity if either of the following conditions applies: (Education Code 35160.5)
1. It is a teacher-graded or required program or activity for a course which satisfies the entrance requirements for admission to the California State University or the University of California.
(cf. 6143 - Courses of study)
2. It is a program that has as its primary goal the improvement of academic or educational achievement of students.
The grade point average (GPA) used to determine eligibility for extracurricular and cocurricular activities shall be based on grades of the last previous grading period during which the student attended class at least a majority of the time. If a student was not in attendance for all, or a majority of, the grading period due to absences excused by the school for reasons such as serious illness or injury, approved travel, or work, the GPA used to determine eligibility shall be the grading period immediately prior to the excluded grading period(s). (Education Code 5160.5).
When a student becomes ineligible, to participate in extracurricular or cocurricular activities in the upcoming grading period, or when he/she is subject to probation, the principal or designee shall provide written notice to the student and his/her parents/guardians.
All extracurricular activities conducted under the name or auspices of LACOE or any class or organization of the school, regardless of where the activities are held, shall be under the direct supervision of certificated employees. (5 CCR 5531).
Any noncertificated person working with students in a LACOE-sponsored extracurricular student activity program shall possess an Activity Supervisor Clearance Certificate from the Commission on Teacher Credentialing or shall have cleared a Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background check prior to beginning his/her duties, in accordance with BP 4127/4227/4327 - Temporary Athletic Team Coaches. (Education Code 49024).
(cf. 1240 - Volunteer Assistance)
(cf. 4212.5 - Criminal Record Check)
Criteria for Participation
Satisfactory Educational Progress: requires at a minimum that the student:
1. Maintain minimum progress toward meeting graduation requirements as set by LACOE
2. Reflect satisfactory educational progress in the previous grading period, which does not include a grading period during which the student was absent for the majority of the period due to serious illness or injury, approved travel, or work
3. If unable to attain satisfactory educational progress, the student may qualify for a one-semester probationary period and still participate in the activity
Criteria for Activities
1. Student Organizations
a. Sites are authorized to recognize and sponsor student organizations, with approval of the division director.
b. LACOE-sponsored student organizations shall have a LACOE staff member as an advisor.
c. LACOE-sponsored student organizations will only include members who are current students of the LACOE program or activity.
d. The activities of the student organization will not conflict with the authority and responsibilities of LACOE officials.
e. Student organizations shall keep a written record of the student organizations' purpose, membership, activities, financing, and supervision. This record shall be disclosable.
f. No hazing is permitted for membership in any student organization using LACOE facilities or involving a LACOE program or activity
2. Other Extracurricular and Cocurricular Activities
a. LACOE provides supervision and/or financial support for the activity
b. Participating students represent LACOE
c. Participating students receive enrichment experiences beyond the regular curriculum
d. Participating students have a role in the activity's selection process and operations
3. For outside activities, participating students must follow the policies, rules and regulations governing the activity's sponsor.
a. LACOE is not responsible for coordinating such activities or for any liability incurred from participation in such activities.
b. LACOE shall not prevent a student from participating in outside activities as long as such participation does not interfere with or disrupt the LACOE student's educational program.
(cf. LACOE 7320 - Freedom of Expression Policy)
35160, 35160.5, 35330 et seq., 48930-48934; 5 CCR 1360, 54801
Regulation LOS ANGELES COUNTY OFFICE OF EDUCATION
approved: March 5, 2013 Downey, California
revised: August 8, 2017