Legal Resources | Title 5 | 15576
Chapter 15. Child Nutrition Programs Subchapter 1. Food Sales, Food Service, And Nutrition Education Article 6. Food And Beverage Requirements Outside Of The Federal School Meal Programs Definitions for Beverages
(a) "Beverage" means any potable liquid.
(b) "Electrolyte replacement beverage" means a potable liquid that meets all of the following requirements:
(1) Water as the first ingredient.
(2) Contains no more than 2.1 grams of added sweetener per fluid ounce.
(3) Contains at least 10 milligrams but no more than 150 milligrams of sodium per 8 ounces.
(4) Contains at least 10 milligrams but no more than 90 milligrams of potassium per 8 ounces.
(5) Contains no added caffeine.
(c) "Milk" means cow's or goat's milk that:
(1) Contains Vitamin A, Vitamin D, and at least 25 percent of the FDA-established Daily Value (DV) for calcium per 8 ounces.
(2) Contains no added sweeteners exceeding 28 grams of total sugars per 8 ounces.
(3) Is two-percent fat milk, one-percent fat milk, or nonfat milk.
(d) "Non-dairy milk" alternative (e.g., rice milk, soy milk) means a beverage that:
(1) Contains Vitamin A, Vitamin D and at least 25 percent of the DV for calcium per 8 ounces,
(2) Contains no added sweeteners exceeding 28 grams of total sugars per 8 ounces, and
(3) Contains no more than 5 grams of fat per 8 ounces.
Education Code 33031
Education Code 49431.5
Food and Agricultural Code 38181
Food and Agricultural Code 38191
Food and Agricultural Code 38211
(Added By Register 2008, No. 32.)