Legal Resources | Title 5 | T5 4610
Purpose and Scope
(a) This Chapter applies to the filing, investigation and resolution of a complaint regarding an alleged violation by a local agency of federal or state law or regulations governing educational programs, including allegations of unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation or bullying. The purpose of this chapter is to establish a uniform system of complaint processing for specified programs or activities that receive state or federal funding.
(b) This chapter applies to the following programs administered by the CDE:
(1) Adult Education programs established pursuant to Education Code sections 8500 through 8538 and 52500 through 52616.4;
(2) Consolidated Categorical Aid Programs as listed in Education Code section 64000(a);
(3) Migrant Education established pursuant to Education Code sections 54440 through 54445;
(4) Career Technical and Technical Education and Career Technical and Technical Training Programs established pursuant to Education Code sections 52300 through 52480;
(5) Child Care and Development Programs established pursuant to Education Code sections 8200 through 8493;
(6) Child Nutrition Programs established pursuant to Education Code sections 49490 through 49570; and
(7) Special Education Programs established pursuant to Education Code sections 56000 through 56885 and 59000 through 59300.
(c) This chapter also applies to the filing of complaints which allege unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation or bullying against any protected group as identified under Education Code section 200 and 220 and Government Code section 11135, including any actual or perceived characteristic as set forth in Penal Code section 422.55, or on the basis of a person's association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics, in any program or activity conducted by a local agency, which is funded directly by, or that receives or benefits from any state financial assistance.
(d) This chapter also applies to the filing of complaints which allege noncompliance with the provisions of Education Code sections 49010 and 49011 regarding pupil fees.
(e) Nothing in these regulations shall prevent an LEA from using its local uniform complaint procedure to address complaints not listed in this section.
(f) The CDE will develop a pamphlet for parents that will explain the Uniform Complaint Procedures in a user friendly manner and post this pamphlet on the CDE's Web site.
Education Code 221.1
Education Code 8261
Education Code 33031
Education Code 49531
Education Code 49551
Education Code 54445
Education Code 52355
Education Code 52451
Education Code 56100(a)
Education Code 56100(j)
Government Code 11138
Education Code 200
Education Code 220
Education Code 234.1
Education Code 260
Education Code 49013
Education Code 49556
Government Code 11135
Government Code 11138
34 C.F.R. 106.1-106.8
34 C.F.R. 299.10-299.11
(Amended by Register 2013, No. 38.)