Kings Canyon SD | AR 5127 Students
Middle School Promotion Ceremonies And Activities
Students must complete all district adopted promotion requirements prior to participation in promotion ceremonies and activities; plans to complete said requirements at a later date are not sufficient.
The Superintendent or designee shall identify other school-sponsored awards which may be given out during promotion ceremonies. A separate awards program may be held to recognize students receiving other school and non-school awards.
Students may not participate in promotion ceremonies if there are outstanding debts at the date and time of said ceremonies.
Students may not participate in a school's promotion ceremony unless enrolled at that school at the date and time established for determining the promotion roster.
Students are not eligible to participate in a school's promotion ceremonies if they have been subject to suspension or expulsion proceedings on the date of the activities.
Eighth Grade Promotion Ceremony Eligibility
Eighth grade promotion ceremony requirements:
1. A minimum score of 2 ("Standard Nearly Met") on Smarter Balanced Assessment (SBA) in English/Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics on the 7th grade SBA test; or; a minimum score of basic/Standard Nearly Met on an alternate district-approved assessment in 8th grade.
2. Grade Point Average GPA of 2.0 in 8th grade year. Additionally, students must have a "C" or better in ELA, Math, Science and Social Studies or complete an intervention plan.
3. Any student with a Section 504 Plan or Individualized Educational Plan (IEP), will meet promotion ceremony and activity requirements as established through their respective 504 Plan or IEP teams.
4. Excused or Unexcused Absences: 15 days or less (including suspensions) for 8th grade. The school site Promotion Committee will meet with parents/guardians to decide whether extenuating medical circumstances caused the absences. If absences exceed the allowable number, the student may petition the school site Promotion Committee to request an approved plan.
5. Suspensions Allowed: Students must have no more than 10 days of suspension for the year or no more than three days of suspension in the third trimester.
6. All financial obligations must be cleared prior to participation in the ceremony
Students must meet these requirements in order to participate in any promotion ceremony or 8th grade end-of-year activities.
Any student who does not complete one of the aforementioned competencies may request a hearing before the Promotion Ceremony Review Panel. This panel will review the advisability of differential standards based on assessed need.
Regulation KINGS CANYON UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: April 20, 1998 Reedley, California
revised: August 16, 2005
revised: June 5, 2007
revised: June 23, 2009
revised: April 18, 2017