Kings Canyon SD | BP 5000 Students
Concept and Roles in Student Personnel
The focus of the school system is on the student. It is incumbent upon the Governing Board, district and school administration and teachers to provide for the physical and intellectual welfare of the students in their charge. The district shall work closely with parents/guardians and the community in order to achieve a harmony of interests.
Students must be recognized and understood as individuals, each with unique abilities, social and economic background, ambitions and educational needs. The programs and services of the district must be designed and executed with this concept well in mind if the fullest development of each is to be achieved.
Students are expected to accept personal responsibility for making maximum use of those educational opportunities afforded by applying themselves diligently to the enterprise of learning both in the classroom and in other school-sponsored settings. It is also expected that as a result of the total school experience students will come to appreciate the values of selfdiscipline, responsibility, respect for others, their country and its governmental processes.
The Board will attempt to erase any limitations of facilities and means that stand in the way of our school's availability to all who wish to learn in this school system.
Discrimination among students applying for admission to or attending our schools with respect to color, creed, race, sex, religion, ancestry, handicap, or national origin is prohibited.
(cf. 5145.4 - Nondiscrimination)
Role of Governing Board
The Governing Board:
l. Establishes policies to provide the best attainable program of education for the district's students.
2. Authorizes the establishment of special classes, programs, or other facilities for students who are in need of special or alternative education in keeping with all legal provisions.
3. Provides for the physical and mental well-being of students.
4. Determines policies regarding student behavior and attendance
within the limits of the law.
Role of Superintendent
l. Administers all schools and classes established by the Governing Board.
2. Directs the instruction, guidance and discipline of all students.
3. Provides leadership and guidance to establish the pattern of education to be offered to students.
4. Determines the boundaries of school attendance within the district.
5. Makes assignments of students to the different buildings or grades as may improve their education, reduce the expense of maintaining schools, or relieve overcrowded conditions.
6. Has general charge of the enforcement of the compulsory attendance law and the issuance of work permits.
7. Has authority for the closing of schools in case of emergencies and providing for the health and safety of students.
Working Relationships of Board and Superintendent
Student welfare and guidance is the responsibility of the Superintendent or designee with the exception of the expulsion of students, which the Board may not delegate.
TITLE IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
Policy KINGS CANYON UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: July 5, 1988 Reedley, California