Kingsburg Elementary Charter | BP 4112.8 Personnel
Employment Of Relatives
The district does not discriminate against employment candidates on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, or marital status. In furtherance of the district's policy of selecting candidates on the basis of merit and qualifications, and to avoid problems of favoritism, supervision, security, or morale, members of the immediate family of existing employees shall be fully eligible for district employment, except as provided below.
1. Beginning July 1, 2004, no person shall be hired to work at the same department. To clarify, two immediate family members cannot be employed in the same department or at the same school site if they would have the same supervisor. For purposes of this policy, "immediate family" includes spouse, mother, father, child, child-in-law, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfather, grandchild, brother-in-law, or sister-in-law of an employee, whether by blood or marriage. "Immediate family" also includes any relative living in the same household of an employee.
2. No existing employee shall be transferred or promoted to a position in any department or the same school site in which a member of the employee's immediate family already holds a position when such employment will result in any of the following:
a.A supervisor-subordinate relationship;
b. The employees having job duties which require performance of shared duties on the same or related work assignment; or,
c.Both employees having the same immediate supervisor.
3. For reasons of supervision, security or morale, the district may refuse to place spouses or relatives under the direct supervision of other spouses or relatives.
4. For reasons of supervision, security or morale, the district may refuse to place spouses or relatives in the same department if the work involves potential conflicts of interests.
5. If co-employees marry, the district shall make reasonable efforts to assign job duties so as to minimize problems of supervision, security, safety, or morale.
(cf. 4031 - Complaints Concerning Discrimination in Employment)
(cf. 9270 - Conflict of Interest)
An employee shall notify his/her supervisor within 30 days of any change in his/her circumstances that may constitute a violation of this policy.
35107 School district employees
12940 Unlawful employment practices
CODE OF REGULATIONS, TITLE 2
7292.0-7292.6 Marital status discrimination, especially:
7292.5 Employee selection
California Department of Fair Employment and Housing: http://www.dfeh.ca.gov
Institute for Local Government: http://www.cacities.org/index.jsp?zone=ilsg
Policy KINGSBURG ELEMENTARY CHARTER SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: March 10, 2011 Kingsburg, California
adopted: July 15, 2013