Warning labels for substances specified in Section 32064 shall meet all of the following standards:
(a) The warning label shall be affixed in a conspicuous place and shall contain the signal word "WARNING," to alert users of potential adverse health effects.
(b) The warning label shall contain information on the health-related dangers of the art or craft material.
(1) If the product contains a human carcinogen, the warning shall contain the statement: "CANCER HAZARD! Overexposure may create cancer risk."
(2) If the product contains a potential human carcinogen, and does not contain a human carcinogen, the warning shall contain the statement: "POSSIBLE CANCER HAZARD! Overexposure might create cancer risk."
(3) If the product contains a toxic substance causing chronic illness, the warning shall contain, but not be limited to, the following statement or statements where applicable:
(A) May cause sterility or damage to reproductive organs.
(B) May cause birth defects or harm to developing fetus.
(C) May be excreted in human milk causing harm to a nursing infant.
(D) May cause central nervous system depression or injury.
(E) May cause numbness or weakness in the extremities.
(F) Overexposure may cause damage to (specify organ).
(G) Heating above (specify degrees) may cause hazardous decomposition products.
(4) If a product contains more than one chronically toxic substance, or if a single substance can cause more than one chronic health effect, the required statements may be combined into one warning statement.
(c) The warning label shall contain a list of ingredients that are toxic substances causing chronic illness.
(d) The warning label shall contain a statement or statements of safe use and storage instructions, conforming to the following list. The label shall contain, but not be limited to, as many of the following risk statements as are applicable:
(1) Keep out of reach of children.
(2) When using, do not eat, drink, or smoke.
(3) Wash hands after use and before eating, drinking, or smoking.
(4) Keep container tightly closed.
(5) Store in well ventilated area.
(6) Avoid contact with skin.
(7) Wear protective clothing (specify type).
(8) Wear NIOSH certified masks for dust, mists, or fumes.
(9) Wear NIOSH certified respirator with appropriate cartridge for (specify type).
(10) Wear NIOSH certified supplied air respirator.
(11) Use window exhaust fan to remove vapors and assure adequate ventilation (specify explosion proof if necessary).
(12) Use local exhaust hood (specify type).
(13) Do not heat above (specify degrees) without adequate ventilation.
(14) Do not use/mix with (specify material).
(e) The warning label shall contain a statement on where to obtain more information, such as, "Call your local poison control center for more health information."
(f) The warning label, or any other label on the substance, shall contain the name and address of the manufacturer or repackager.
(g) If all of the above information cannot fit on the package label, a package insert shall be required to convey all the necessary information to the consumer. In this event, the label shall contain a statement to refer to the package insert, such as "CAUTION: See package insert before use." For purposes of this section, "package insert" means a display of written, printed, or graphic matter upon a leaflet or suitable material accompanying the art supply. The language on this insert shall be nontechnical and nonpromotional in tone and content.
The requirements set forth in subdivisions (a) to (g), inclusive, shall not be considered to be complied with unless the required words, statements, or other information appear on the outside container or wrapper, or on a package insert that is easily legible through the outside container or wrapper and is painted in a color in contrast with the product or the package containing the product.
An art or craft material shall be considered to be in compliance with this section if Article 6 (commencing with Section 108500) of Chapter 4 of Part 3 of Division 104 of the Health and Safety Code requires labeling of the art or craft material, and if the material is in compliance with that article.
The manufacturer of any art or craft material sold, distributed, offered for sale, or exposed for sale in this state shall supply upon request to the State Department of Health Services any information required by the department in order to perform its duties under this article.
(Amended by Stats. 1996, Ch. 1023, Sec. 32.)
Education Code 32064
Health and Safety Code 108500