(a) In general From the total amount made available under section 6302(b)(2) of this title for the period beginning October 1, 2002, and ending September 30, 2006, the Secretary shall reserve not more than $3,000,000 to conduct an independent evaluation of the effectiveness of this subpart.
(1) Interim report Not later than October 1, 2004, the Secretary shall submit an interim report to the Committee on Education and the Workforce of the House of Representatives and the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions of the Senate.
(2) Final report Not later than September 30, 2006, the Secretary shall submit a final report to the committees described in paragraph (1).
The reports submitted under subsection (b) of this section shall include information on the following:
(1) How the grant recipients under this subpart are improving the prereading skills of preschool children.
(2) The effectiveness of the professional development program assisted under this subpart.
(3) How early childhood teachers are being prepared with scientifically based reading research on early reading development.
(4) What activities and instructional practices are most effective.
(5) How prereading instructional materials and literacy activities based on scientifically based reading research are being integrated into preschools, child care agencies and programs, programs carried out under the Head Start Act [42 USC 9831 et seq.], and family literacy programs.
(6) Any recommendations on strengthening or modifying this subpart.
(Pub. L. 89-10, title I, Sec. 1226, as added Pub. L. 107-110, title I, Sec. 101, Jan. 8, 2002, 115 Stat. 1555.)