(a) Early education services may be provided by any of the following methods:
(1) Directly by a local educational agency.
(2) Through an interagency agreement between a local educational agency and another public agency.
(3) Through a contract with another public agency pursuant to Section 56369.
(4) Through a contract with a certified nonpublic, nonsectarian school, or nonpublic, nonsectarian agency pursuant to Section 56366.
(5) Through a contract with a nonsectarian hospital in accordance with Section 56361.5.
(b) Contracts or agreements with agencies identified in subdivision (a) for early education services are strongly encouraged when early education services are currently provided by another agency, and when found to be a cost-effective means of providing the services. The placement of individual infants under the contract shall not require specific approval by the governing board of the district or the county office.
(c) Early education services provided under this chapter shall be funded pursuant to Sections 56427, 56428, and 56432.
(d) This section shall become operative on July 1, 1998.
(Added by Stats. 1997, Ch. 854, Sec. 57.)