Happy Valley ESD (Santa Cruz) | AR 6142.1 Instruction
Sexual Health And Hiv/Aids Prevention Instruction
Instruction and Materials
1. Age appropriate
Age appropriate refers to topics, messages, and teaching methods suitable to particular ages or age groups of children and adolescents, based on developing cognitive, emotional, and behavioral capacity typical for the age or age group.
2. Factually and medically accurate and objective
Medically accurate means verified or supported by research conducted in compliance with scientific methods and published in peer-reviewed journals, where appropriate, and recognized as accurate and objective by professional organizations and agencies with expertise in the relevant field, such as the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the American Public Health Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
3. Available on an equal basis to a student who is an English learner, consistent with the existing curriculum and alternative options for an English learner, as otherwise provided in the Education Code
(cf. 6174 - Education for English Language Learners)
4. Appropriate for use with students of all races, genders, sexual orientations, and ethnic and cultural backgrounds, and students with disabilities
(cf. 0410 - Nondiscrimination in District Programs and Activities)
(cf. 1312.3 - Uniform Complaint Procedures)
5. Accessible to students with disabilities, including, but not limited to, the provision of a modified curriculum, materials, and instruction in alternative formats and auxiliary aids
6. Not teaching or promoting religious doctrine
7. Not reflecting bias or promoting prejudice against students in protected categories of discrimination pursuant to Education Code 220
(cf. 5145. 3 - Nondiscrimination/Harassment)
Other district courses that may include subject matter related to that which is presented in comprehensive sexual health instruction shall not be subject to the requirements of Education Code 51930-51939 pertaining to instructional content, teacher training, and parental notification and consent, if such courses contain: (Education Code 51932)
1. Solely a description or illustration of human reproductive organs that may appear in a textbook adopted pursuant to law on physiology, biology, zoology, general science, personal hygiene, or health
(cf. 6142.8 - Comprehensive Health Education)
(cf. 6142.93 - Science Instruction)
2. Instruction or materials that discuss gender, sexual orientation, or family life and do not discuss human reproductive organs and their function
(cf. 6143 - Courses of Study)
Additional Requirements for Sexual Health Instruction
1. Instruction and materials shall encourage a student to communicate with his/her parents/guardians about human sexuality.
2. Instruction and materials shall teach respect for marriage and committed relationships.
The district's instruction shall be provided by instructors trained in the appropriate courses who are knowledgeable of the most recent medically accurate research on human sexuality, pregnancy, and sexually transmitted diseases. (Education Code 51932, 51933, 51934)
Use of Consultants or Guest Speakers
The Superintendent/Principal or designee may contract with outside consultants with expertise in comprehensive sexual health education, including those who have developed multilingual curricula or curricula accessible to persons with disabilities, to deliver the instruction or to provide training for district personnel. The Superintendent/Principal or designee shall ensure that any instruction provided by an outside speaker or consultant complies with Board policy, administrative regulation, and Education Code 51930-51939. (Education Code 51933, 51934, 51936)
(cf. 6145.8 - Assemblies and Special Events)
At the beginning of each school year, or at the time of a student's enrollment, parents/guardians shall be notified about instruction in comprehensive sexual health education, as well as research on student health behaviors and risks, planned for the coming year. The notice shall advise parents/guardians: (Education Code 48980, 51938)
1. That written and audiovisual educational materials to be used in comprehensive sexual health education are available for inspection
2. That parents/guardians may request in writing that their child not receive comprehensive sexual health
4. Whether the comprehensive sexual health education will be taught by district personnel or outside consultants
If the district chooses to use outside consultants or to hold an assembly with guest speakers to teach the comprehensive sexual health education, the notification shall include: (Education Code 51938)
a. The date of the instruction
b. The name of the organization or affiliation of each guest speaker
If the arrangements for instruction by outside consultants or guest speakers are made after the beginning of the school year, the district shall notify parents/guardians by mail or another commonly used method of notification no fewer than 14 days before the instruction is given. (Education Code 51938)
(cf. 5145.6 - Parental Notifications)
Parents/guardians shall be asked to sign and return to the school an acknowledgment that they have received the notification. If a parent/guardian wishes to excuse his/her child from instruction, he/she must provide a separate written request, as specified in Board policy.
Regulation HAPPY VALLEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: September 9, 2009 Santa Cruz, California