Every family day care home shall be subject to unannounced visits by the department as provided in this section. The department shall visit these facilities as often as necessary to ensure the quality of care provided.
(a) The department shall conduct an announced site visit prior to the initial licensing of the applicant.
(b) The department shall conduct an annual unannounced visit to a facility under any of the following circumstances:
(1) When a license is on probation.
(2) When the terms of agreement in a facility compliance plan require an annual evaluation.
(3) When an accusation against a licensee is pending.
(4) In order to verify that a person who has been ordered out of a family day care home by the department is no longer at the facility.
(c) (1) The department shall conduct annual unannounced visits to no less than 20 percent of facilities not subject to an evaluation under subdivision (b). These unannounced visits shall be conducted based on a random sampling methodology developed by the department.
(2) If the total citations issued by the department exceed the previous year's total by 10 percent, the following year the department shall increase the random sample by 10 percent of the facilities not subject to an evaluation under subdivision (b). The department may request additional resources to increase the random sample by 10 percent.
(d) Under no circumstance shall the department visit a licensed family day care home less often than once every five years.
(e) A public agency under contract with the department may make spot checks if it does not result in any cost to the state. However, spot checks shall not be required by the department.
(f) The department or licensing agency shall make an unannounced site visit on the basis of a complaint and a followup visit as provided in Section 1596.853.
(g) An unannounced site visit shall adhere to both of the following conditions:
(1) The visit shall take place only during the facility's normal business hours or at any time family day care services are being provided.
(2) The inspection of the facility shall be limited to those parts of the facility in which family day care services are provided or to which the children have access.
(h) The department shall implement this section during periods that Section 1597.55b is not being implemented in accordance with Section 18285.5 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.
(Amended by Stats. 2007, Ch. 177, Sec. 6.)