(a) The department shall allocate any new funds to area agencies on aging based upon the existing intrastate funding formula, but without regard to subdivision (b) of Section 9112.
(b) Funds may be expended by area agencies on aging for any of the following purposes:
(1) To serve older individuals on waiting lists.
(2) To increase the number of days per week that meals are provided under the Home-Delivered Meals Program from five to seven.
(3) To provide modified diets specific to the needs of individuals being served by the Home-Delivered Meals Program.
(4) To establish an active outreach program to ensure that California's elderly are aware of the availability of home-delivered meals services.
(5) For capital outlay to expand the physical capacity of local needs programs to serve unmet need.
(6) To fund transportation costs related to the delivery of home-delivered meals.
(7) To otherwise deal with the unmet home-delivered nutrition needs identified by the area agency on aging in accordance with the criteria developed by the department pursuant to this subdivision.
(c) The department shall encourage area agencies on aging to include in the home-delivered meals programs alternative service models designed to reduce the social isolation of economically and nutritionally disadvantaged older individuals living in residential hotels.
(Added by Stats. 1996, Ch. 1097, Sec. 13.)