(a) Notwithstanding any other educational requirements, a person may be hired as a teacher in a day care center if he or she satisfies all of the following conditions:
(1) Is 18 years of age or older.
(2) Possesses a regional occupation program certificate of training in child care occupations issued by a regional occupational program which is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
(3) Has completed at least 95 hours of classroom instruction in child care and development and child care occupations and at least 150 hours in supervised field experience in a licensed day care center or comparable group child care program.
(4) Commencing September 1, 2016, has provided evidence of current immunity or exemption from immunity, as described in Section 1596.7995.
(5) Has provided evidence of a current tuberculosis clearance, as described in subdivision (g) of Section 101216 of Title 22 of the California Code of Regulations. This requirement may be satisfied by a current certificate, as defined in subdivision (f) of Section 121525, that indicates freedom from infectious tuberculosis as set forth in Section 121525.
(b) Subsequent to being hired pursuant to subdivision (a), a teacher shall make satisfactory progress towards meeting the educational requirement for a fully qualified teacher, as specified in departmental regulations. For purposes of this section, "satisfactory progress" shall mean completion, with passing grades, of a minimum of two units each semester or the equivalent number of units each quarter until the educational requirement is satisfied. Six of the required semester or equivalent number of quarter units of early childhood education from an accredited university or college shall be completed during the next two consecutive regular semesters or equivalent quarters.
(c) A teacher hired pursuant to this section shall not be exempt from satisfying any other noneducation requirements imposed by law on teachers in day care centers and shall have onsite supervision by a fully qualified teacher until six of the units specified in subdivision (b) are completed.
(Amended by Stats. 2015, Ch. 807, Sec. 2.)