(a) The department shall identify one or more evidence-based online training programs that a local educational agency can use to train school staff and pupils as part of the local educational agency's policy on pupil suicide prevention adopted pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 215.
(b) In identifying an online training program pursuant to subdivision (a), the department shall ensure all of the following:
(1) The training program is evidence based.
(2) The training program is consistent with the model pupil suicide prevention policy developed by the department pursuant to paragraph (5) of subdivision (a) of Section 215.
(3) The training program addresses the needs of high-risk groups as specified in paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) of Section 215.
(4) The training program can track aggregate, statewide usage.
(5) The training program can assess trainee knowledge before and after training is provided in order to measure training outcomes.
(c) (1) The department shall, subject to funds being appropriated in the annual Budget Act or another statute for this purpose, provide a grant to a county office of education, upon application by the county office of education, for the county office of education to acquire a training program identified by the department pursuant to subdivision (a) and disseminate that training program to local educational agencies.
(2) The county office of education shall make the training program available to local educational agencies at no cost.
(3) A local educational agency is not required to use the training program and may use the training program on a voluntary basis.
(d) For purposes of this section, "local educational agency" means a county office of education, school district, state special school, or charter school that serves pupils in grades 7 to 12, inclusive.
(e) The requirements of this section are contingent on funds being appropriated in the annual Budget Act or another statute for its purposes.
(Added by Stats. 2018, Ch. 32, Sec. 1.)