Chapter 6.5. Motor Carrier Safety * Article 9. Additional Equipment Requirements for School Buses Data Display and Chassis Certification.
School buses shall comply with the following:
(a) Display of Data. Plates or labels displaying the following data shall be permanently attached in each school bus except Type 2 school buses manufactured before July 1, 1970, and shall be readily visible either in the driver's compartment or where prescribed in Part 567, Certification, of Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations:
(1) Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)
(2) Minimum tire size and minimum acceptable load range rating
(3) Gross axle weight rating (GAWR)--Front, intermediate (if applicable), and rear
(4) Unladen weight of vehicle as defined in Vehicle Code Section 660.
(5) For vehicles manufactured on or after September 1, 1989 and classed as multipurpose passenger vehicles (MPV) as defined in Part 571 of Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, the statement: This multipurpose passenger vehicle meets or exceeds the requirements of all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in effect on the date of manufacture for a school bus having a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of (10,000 pounds or less) (More than 10,000 pounds). The statement shall be completed with only one of the GVWR ranges shown in parentheses, not by including both and striking out one.
(b) Chassis Manufacturer's Certification. A chassis shall not be used on either any Type 2 school bus manufactured on or after July 1, 1970, and prior to April 1, 1977, or any Type 1 school bus manufactured prior to April 1, 1977, unless the manufacturer of the chassis, as defined in Section 1201 of this title, has filed with the Commissioner a certified statement on the departmental form setting forth the gross vehicle weight rating of such chassis. For buses manufactured after January 1, 1973, and prior to April 1, 1977, the manufacturer of the chassis shall file, on a departmental form, only a certified statement that the models listed comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
(c) Chassis Modifications. Repowering with other than original engines, or other chassis modifications shall be done only with the written permission of the vehicle manufacturer(s) listed on the Federal certification label or data plate. If such permission cannot be obtained, a modification may be made if:
(1) It duplicates an original installation or a previously approved installation on the same make and model of school bus, or
(2) It is done in accordance with engineering plans provided by the component manufacturer or an independent engineering firm, and
(3) In either case, the bus is reinspected by an authorized department employee before it is used for pupil transportation.
Vehicle Code 34508
Vehicle Code 34508
(Amended by Register 91, No. 18.)