Chawanakee USD | AR 5112.3 Students
Student Leave of Absence
The Governing Board may grant a leave of absence to a student on request, under the following conditions:
1. The student will be fifteen (15) years of age at the start of the leave of absence and the leave requested is for one semester.
Continuation students between the ages of sixteen (16) and eighteen (18) inclusive may request leave for up to two (2) semesters.
2. A written agreement shall be made and signed by the student, the parent/guardian, the principal or designee of the school the student would otherwise attend, a classroom teacher familiar with the student's academic progress and chosen by the student, and the district supervisor of child welfare and attendance. This agreement shall provide for:
a. The purpose of the leave.
b. The length of the leave.
c. A meeting or contact between the student and a designated school official at least once a month while the student is on the leave.
d. A statement explaining and justifying the purpose of the leave.
The parent/guardian's signature and approval shall not be required for an emancipated minor.
3. The student shall be permitted to return to school at any time and shall not be prevented from completing his/her academic requirements within a time period equal to that of classmates who did not take leave, plus the length of time spent on leave. If the student reenrolls at a time other than the beginning of a semester, the school shall not be required to provide make-up sessions for classes missed.
4. The leave may be extended for an additional semester if approved by all parties to the agreement and the local school attendance review board.
5. No leave of absence may extend beyond the end of the school year in which the leave is taken.
6. If the student does not contact the designated school official as required by the agreement, the leave shall be nullified. Any party to the agreement may nullify the agreement for cause at any time.
Regulation CHAWANAKEE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: August 16, 1990 North Fork, California