Chawanakee USD | AR 6142.2 Instruction
World/Foreign Language Instruction
Content of Instruction
The district's instructional program for world languages shall be designed to help students gain knowledge about new language systems and use that knowledge to communicate. Students shall receive instruction which is aligned with state academic standards appropriate to their age and stage of linguistic and cultural proficiency in the following categories:
1. Content: Students shall be presented with a wide variety of content that is age and stage appropriate and increases in complexity.
(cf. 6011 - Academic Standards)
2. Communication: Students shall be taught to effectively convey and receive messages by engaging in or interpreting written, spoken, and/or signed languages.
3. Cultures: Students shall receive instruction that allows them to make connections and comparisons between language and culture.
(cf. 6142.94 - History/Social Science Instruction)
4. Structures: The curriculum shall address components of grammar, syntax, and language patterns appropriate to the language being taught.
5. Settings: To help students comprehend meaning and use language that is culturally appropriate, students shall develop knowledge of the context or setting in which language is used, such as common daily settings, interpersonal settings, and informal and formal settings.
In enrolling students for the program, the district shall strive to maintain a ratio of half native English speakers and half English learners, and such ratio shall not fall below one-third for either language group except under exceptional circumstances.
Regulation CHAWANAKEE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: August 8, 2017 North Fork, California