Castro Valley USD | AR 5136 Students
Prevention and Intervention Measures
In order to discourage the influence of gangs, school staff shall take the following measures:
1. Any student displaying behavior, gestures, apparel or paraphernalia indicative of gang affiliation shall be referred to the principal or designee.
a. The student's parent/guardian shall be contacted and may be asked to meet with school staff.
b. The student may be sent home to change clothes if necessary.
(cf. 5132 - Dress and Grooming)
2. Staff members shall be provided with the names of known gang members.
3. Students who seek help in rejecting gang associations may be referred to community-based gang suppression and prevention organizations.
(cf. 1020 - Youth Services)
4. Any gang graffiti on school premises shall be removed, washed down or painted over as soon as discovered.
a. Routine checks for graffiti shall be made throughout the campus.
b. Graffiti shall be photographed before it is removed. These photographs shall be shared with local law enforcement authorities and used in future disciplinary or criminal action against the offenders.
(cf. 3515 - Campus Security)
(cf. 5131.5 - Vandalism and Graffiti)
5. Staff shall actively promote membership in authorized student organizations which can provide students companionship, safety, and a sense of purpose and belonging, including:
a. Positive sports and cultural activities and affiliations with the local community
(cf. 6145 - Extracurricular and Cocurricular Activities)
(cf. 6145.2 - Athletic Competition)
b. Structured, goal-oriented community service projects
(cf. 6142.4 - Service Learning/Community Service Classes)
Regulation CASTRO VALLEY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: January 16, 2014 Castro Valley, California