Castro Valley USD | AR 1325.1 Community Relations
Permitted Advertising On District Property
The Superintendent or designee may approve paid advertisements on district property on a limited, nonexclusive basis or an exclusive basis when permitted by law, consistent with the purpose of this policy.
Prior to posting a paid advertisement, the Superintendent or designee shall review and approve the advertisement to ensure compliance with Board policy and administrative regulations, and state and federal laws.
Superintendent or designee may selectively approve or disapprove advertisements based on the criteria listed below, but may not disapprove advertisements in an arbitrary or capricious manner or in a way that discriminates against a particular viewpoint on a subject that otherwise would be allowed.
Sponsorships will be considered a form of advertising. CRITERIA FOR APPROVAL
The Superintendent or designee shall not accept any advertisements that:
1. Are obscene, libelous or slanderous (Education Code 48907).
2.¬∑ Incite students to commit unlawful acts, violate school rules or disrupt the orderly operation of the schools (Education Code 48907).
3. Promote any particular political interest, candidate, party, or ballot measure.
4. Discriminate against, attack, or denigrate any individual, group, or organization.
5. Promote the use or sale of materials or services that are illegal or inconsistent with the district objectives, including but not limited to advertisements for tobacco, intoxicants, and movies or products unsuitable for students.
6. Solicit funds or services for an organization, with the exception of solicitations authorized in Board Policy.
Guidelines for Advertising
In addition to the criteria listed above, the Superintendent or designee also may consider the education value of the advertisements, the age and maturity of the students in the intended audience, and whether the advertisements support the basic educational mission of the district, directly benefit the students, or are of intrinsic value to the students or their parents/guardians.
The Superintendent or designee will:
1. Develop, in consultation with the principals and/or facility managers, the criteria including content, size, location, and rates for paid advertising.
2. Approve only temporary advertising, in consultation with the principals and/or facilities manager, for a specified period of time (e.g., week, month, year, season of sport).
a. No permanent advertising (e.g., walls, fences, floors, signs) will be approved.
b. No permanent advertising on scoreboards, will be approved.
(1) Temporary banners on scoreboards may be considered.
(2) Naming a scoreboard must follow BP 731 0 - Naming of Facilities.
c. No advertising to promote individuals will be approved.
3. Approve, in consultation with the principal and/or facility manager, all paid advertising prior to posting the advertising.
a. The Superintendent or designee will approve the content, size, and location of the paid advertisement.
(1) The cost of installing or removing any advertisement will be paid for fully by the advertiser and/or school.
(2) It is the responsibility of the principal and/or site manager to remove the advertising at the end of the approved display time period.
4. Approve all contracts for paid advertising.
a. Only the Assistant Superintendent - Business Services may sign a contract for paid advertising.
b. Established advertising rates will be reviewed annually by the Assistant Superintendent, Business Services.
c. All revenue generated by paid advertisements will be deposited with the district and assigned to an appropriate site account.
5. Review, in consultation with the principals and facility managers, advertising in place prior to June 10, 2010.
a. If the advertising meets the criteria and guidelines, the advertiser will be informed of the current advertising rates.
(1) If the advertiser does not wish to pay the current advertising rates, the advertisement will be removed at the end of the existing agreement or immediately if no advertising rate is being paid.
b. If the advertisement does not meet the criteria and guidelines, the advertisement will be removed immediately.
Regulation CASTRO VALLEY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: June 10, 2010 Castro Valley, California
revised: August 16, 2012