Castro Valley USD | BP 6152 Instruction
The Board of Education believes students should be assigned to classes and/or grouped in a manner that provides the most effective learning environment for all students.
Requirements for Grades 9-12
Except for a student enrolled in an alternative school, community day school, continuation high school, or opportunity school, or as otherwise specified below, no student enrolled in grades 9-12 shall be assigned:
1. To any course without educational content for more than one week in any semester, including any of the following situations: (Education Code 51228.1)
a. The student is assigned to a service, instructional work experience, or other course in which he/she is assigned to assist a certificated employee, unless there us an approved course of study description (e.g., Library Assistant, Special Education Assistant, etc.)
b. The student is not assigned to any course for the relevant course period.
2. To a course that he/she has previously completed and received a grade determined by the district to be sufficient to satisfy minimum high school graduation requirements and the requirements and prerequisites for admission to California public postsecondary institutions (C or better), unless the course has been designed to be taken more than once because students are exposed to a new curriculum year to year and are therefore expected to derive educational value from taking the course again (Education Code 51228.2)
(cf. 6181 - Alternative Schools/Programs of Choice)
(cf. 6184 - Continuation Education)
(cf. 6185 - Community Day School)
1. The student, or the student's parent/guardian if he/she is younger than age 18 years, has consented in writing to the assignment.
2. A school official has determined that the student will benefit from being assigned to the course period.
3. The principal or assistant principal has stated in a written document maintained at the school that, for the relevant school year, no students are assigned to those classes unless the school has obtained the student's or parent/guardian's consent and determined that the student will benefit from the assignment.
In addition, under no circumstances shall a student be assigned to a course period without educational content or a course he/she has already satisfactorily completed because there are insufficient curricular course offerings for the student to take during the relevant period of the school day. (Education Code 51228.1, 51228.2)
The above limitations on class assignments shall not affect the authority of the Superintendent or designee to permit the enrollment of a student in a dual enrollment, independent study, evening high school program, or other class or course authorized by law. (Education Code 51228.1, 51228.2)
(cf. 6158 - Independent Study)
(cf. 6172.1 - Concurrent Enrollment in College Courses)
Any complaint that the district has not complied with the requirements in this section regarding assignments in grades 9-12 may be filed in accordance with the district's procedures in AR 1312.3 - Uniform Complaint Procedures. A complainant not satisfied with the district's decision may appeal the decision to the California Department of Education (CDE). If the district or the CDE finds merit in an appeal, the district shall provide a remedy to the affected student. (Education Code 51228.3; 5 CCR 4600-4687)
(cf. 1312.3 - Uniform Complaint Procedures)
35020 Duties of employees fixed by governing board
35160 Authority of the board
51224.7 California Mathematics Placement Act of 2015
51228.1 Assignment to courses without educational content, grades 9-12
51228.2 Assignment to courses previously completed, grades 9-12
51228.3 Uniform complaint procedures; noncompliance with assignment limitations for grades 9-12
CODE OF REGULATIONS, TITLE 5
4600-4687 Uniform complaint procedures
California Department of Education, Curriculum and Instruction: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci
National Association for the Education of Young Children: http://www.naeyc.org
Policy CASTRO VALLEY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: May 12, 2016 Castro Valley, California