Castro Valley USD | AR 5142 Students
Each principal or designee shall establish school rules for the safe and appropriate use of school equipment and materials and for student conduct consistent with law, Board policy, and administrative regulation. Copies of the rules shall be distributed to parents/guardians and shall be readily available at the school at all times.
(cf. 0450 - Comprehensive Safety Plan)
(cf. 5131 - Conduct)
(cf. 5144 - Discipline)
Release of Students
Students shall be released during the school day only to the custody of an adult if:
1. The adult is the student's custodial parent/guardian.
(cf. 5021 - Noncustodial Parents)
2. The adult has been authorized on the student's emergency card as someone to whom the student may be released when the custodial parent/guardian cannot be reached, and the principal or designee verifies the adult's identity.
(cf. 3516 - Emergencies and Disaster Preparedness Plan)
3. The adult is an authorized law enforcement officer acting in accordance with law.
(cf. 5141.4 - Child Abuse Prevention and Reporting)
(cf. 5145.11 - Questioning and Apprehension by Law Enforcement)
4. The adult is taking the student to emergency medical care at the request of the principal or designee.
(cf. 5141 - Health Care and Emergencies)
Supervision of Students
Teachers shall be present at their respective rooms and shall open them to admit students in an amount of time to be determined at each site. (5 CCR 5570)
Every teacher shall hold students accountable for their conduct on the way to and from school, on the playgrounds, and during recess. (Education Code 44807)
The principal or designee shall require all individuals supervising students to remain alert in spotting dangerous conditions, promptly report any such conditions to the principal or designee, and file a written report on such conditions as appropriate.
(cf. 3530 - Risk Management/Insurance)
In arranging for appropriate supervision on playgrounds, the principal or designee shall:
1. Where playground supervision is not otherwise provided, provide for certificated employees to supervise the conduct and safety, and direct the play, of students who are on school grounds before and after school and during recess and other intermissions (5 CCR 5552)
2. Clearly identify supervision zones on the playground and require all playground supervisors to remain outside at a location from which they can observe their entire zone of supervision
3. Consider the size of the playground area, the number of areas that are not immediately visible, and the age of the students to determine the ratio of playground supervisors to students
The Superintendent or designee shall ensure that teachers, teacher aides, playground supervisors, yard aides, and volunteers who supervise students receive training in safety practices and in supervisory techniques that will help them to forestall problems and resolve conflicts. Such training shall be documented and kept on file.
(cf. 1240 - Volunteer Assistance)
(cf. 3515.2 - Disruptions)
(cf. 4131 - Staff Development)
(cf. 4231 - Staff Development)
(cf. 5131.4 - Student Disturbances)
(cf. 5138 - Conflict Resolution/Peer Mediation)
Any new playground or any replacement of equipment or modification of components inside an existing playground shall conform to standards set forth by the American Society for Testing and Materials and the guidelines set forth by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. (Health and Safety Code 115725)
Any playground installed between January 1, 1994, and December 31, 1999, shall conform to these standards not later than 15 years after the date of installation. (Health and Safety Code 115725)
Protection Against Insect Bites
To help protect students against insect bites or stings that may spread disease or cause allergic reactions, students shall be allowed to apply insect repellent provided by their parents/guardians, under the supervision of school personnel, and in accordance with the manufacturer's directions, when engaging in outdoor activities.
Regulation CASTRO VALLEY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: December 20, 2012 Castro Valley, California