Burbank USD | BP 5132 Students
Dress And Grooming
The Board of Education believes that every student has the right to attend a school that is orderly and free from influences that detract from a wholesome educational environment.
The manner in which students dress for school influences behavior and may affect learning. Therefore, students must dress appropriately for educational activities in which they will participate so as not to endanger their health, safety or welfare.
The Board believes that the wearing of gang signs, insignias, and distinctive modes of dress constitutes a substantial threat to the peaceful operation of the schools and directs that such gang identification be prohibited on any and all campuses of the district.
1. Student shall not display any material which so incites students as to create a clear and present danger of the commission of unlawful acts on school premises or the violation of district or school site policies or rules.
2. Students shall not display any material which so incites students as to create a clear and present danger of the commission of substantial disruption of the orderly process of a school.
No student may be suspended because of a violation of this Board policy unless:
1. The student has been given adequate notice of the violation of this Board policy.
2. The student has been given adequate opportunity under the circumstances to comply with the direction to cease violation of this Board policy.
3. Other means of correction fail to bring about proper conduct.
32281 School safety plans
35183 School dress codes; uniforms
35183.5 Sun-protective clothing
48907 Student exercise of free expression
49066 Grades; effect of physical education class apparel
CODE OF REGULATIONS, TITLE 5
302 Pupils to be neat and clean on entering school
Marvin H. Jeglin et al v. San Jacinto Unified School District et al, (C.D. Cal. 1993)
827 F.Supp. 1459
Arcadia Unified School District v. California Department of Education, (1992) 2 Cal. 4th 251
Hartzell v. Connell, (1984) 35 Cal. 3d 899
Policy BURBANK UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: February 15, 2007 Burbank, California