Burbank USD | AR 1321 Community Relations
Solicitation Of Funds From And By Students
Students are prohibited from being required to pay a fee for participation in an educational activity offered by a school or district that constitutes an integral fundamental part of elementary and secondary education, including, but not limited to, co-curricular and extracurricular activities. (Education Code 49011 a,b)
No student shall be required to raise a specified amount of money in order to participate in an activity sponsored by a school-connected organization.
As of the 2013-14 school year, any fundraising activities by students and or the seeking of donations and contributions shall require written approval through the use of District form (see Exhibit: E 1321) at least 15 working days before the activity, by the principal or designee.
Any activities which expose students to dangers or hazards shall not be authorized.
Door-to-door solicitation by minors under the age of 16 may be permitted as follows in accordance with the California Code of Regulations, Title 8, 11706:
1. Door-to-door selling within the meaning of Section 11706 shall include selling by such minors, either alone or in pairs or teams, in parking lots or malls.
2. Minors under the age of 16 may not sell to passing motorists newspapers, candy, flowers, or other merchandise or commodities from a fixed location on a street, highway, freeway island or divider, freeway on or off ramp, or other side of a freeway or highway entrance or exit shoulder.
3. Minors under the age of 16 may not sell newspaper or magazine subscriptions, candy, cookies, flowers, or other merchandise or commodities door-to-door unless all of the following conditions are met [LC 1296; 8 CCR 1170]:
a. Minors so engaged work in pairs, as a team, on the same or opposite side of the street
b. Minors so engaged must be supervised by an adult for each crew of 10 or fewer minors
c. Minors must be within the sight or sound of the adult supervisor at least once every 15 minutes
d. Minors must be returned to their respective homes or place of rendezvous daily after each day's activity
4. Letters sent to parent/guardians/caregivers regarding door-to-door activities shall include the following:
a. Notification that minors under the age of 16 shall not be out after dark selling or soliciting funds for school activities
b. Notification that minors under the age of 16 shall not sell or solicit funds outside of their immediate neighborhood
5. Students in Kindergarten through grade 3 shall not be involved in any door-to-door sales or solicitation.
In order to minimize interruptions to regularly scheduled instruction, staff shall limit fund-raising activities to appropriate time periods as designated by the principal and shall not interfere with the instructional program.
No students shall be solicited by teachers or others to contribute or to work for any organization not directly under the control of school authorities or be charged for any entertainment programs within the school during school hours.
The soliciting of money or the acceptance of donations from students for other than school activities shall be prohibited except for the following:
1. Student body and Parent Teacher Association/Parent Teacher Student Association (PTA/PTSA) dues.
2. Student body solicitations for service activities initiated by the students, approved by the principal in accordance with policy, under the direct supervision of school authorities.
3. Fund solicitation from students and/or the distribution of announcements by students or teachers. This applies to the following organizations that shall be granted permission to distribute notices through students for student-related activities subject to review by the principal for appropriateness:
* Burbank Educational Foundation
* Burbank PTAs/PTSAs
* Burbank Parks and Recreation Department
* Burbank Public Library
* Burbank Family YMCA
* Burbank Priority in Education Foundation (B.P.I.E.)
* Burbank Salvation Army
* Girl Scouts
* Boy Scouts of America
* Camp Fire, Inc.
* American Red Cross
* American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO)
* Vikings Football
* Burbank Arts Education Foundation
Each fundraising campaign shall not exceed, unless otherwise authorized in advance by the principal or designee, 10 school days in duration at the elementary level, 15 school days at the middle school level, and no more than 20 school days in the comprehensive/continuation high schools, number of days to be determined by the site administrator.
All fundraising activities generated at a specific site are specific to that site. If a student raises funds for a group at an identified site, and the student transfers out of the program, or leaves the program for any reason, or transfers to another school in the district, or moves out of the district, the funds raised by that student do not transfer with the student, but remain in the account of original deposit.
Regulation BURBANK UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: August 15, 2013 Burbank, California